Today’s guest post is by Michelle Mangen, possibly one of the best Virtual Assistants in the universe. She’s savvy in everything from social media to bookkeeping and can be found online at Your Virtual Assistant as well as on Twitter.
As is typical with Facebook there have been a lot of changes taking place recently. Some time ago we were given the option to “upgrade” to the new personal profile layout. (Note: it may now be required) Among the many differences in the new layout there are two things you may want to change as soon as possible.
- Linking Your Fan Page to Your Personal Profile
- Editing Your News Feed Items to Show All Friends and Fan Page Updates
By default Facebook apparently “set up” a new fan page if you previously had a company name listed in your profile as “employer”. If you don’t change this potential “fans” will be going to the wrong destination. Do your potential clients and fans a favor and set that link to go to your true page.
In this photo anyone who clicks on “Your Virtual Assistant” will be directed to my actual fan page and not the non-existent page that Facebook created.
You may be one of the lucky ones who can easily add your page by tagging it with @Your Fan Page Name. I was one of the lucky ones. All of my clients haven’t been so lucky….if you are one of those who can’t get your Fan Page to connect by simply tagging it these instructions are for you.
These instructions will only work with the Web Developer Add-On for FireFox or Chrome. Before completing the steps below download this tool for your browser from the appropriate link above and install as necessary.
- Go to your Fan Page and copy the Page ID (a long set of numbers at the very end of your Fan Page URL)
- Open a separate window with your personal Facebook profile>Edit Profile>Education and Work
- Type your fan page name into the employer box ~ don’t be alarmed that it brings up the wrong page
- From the Web Developer extension that you installed open the option that reads “Forms” and then “Display Form Details”
- Enter the Page ID that you copied from Step 1 into the “employer ID boxes” (NOTE: your page will look different than mine because my Facebook profile attached by simply tagging my fan page name but the picture below will give you a general idea …just be sure to add your page ID to the fields that indicate “employer ID”.
- When finished adding in your Page ID into the employer ID fields click save changes at the bottom of the page.
- You can now turn off the Web Developer “Display Forms Detail” option and you should see your fan page connected to your personal profile complete with your fan page photo.
- Go back to your personal profile and test the link to assure it’s correct.
Congrats on linking up your Facebook fan page to your personal profile!
You may also want to change Item #2 mentioned above. With the massive changes that took place the week of Feb. 6, 2011 your news feed has changed to only show updates from recent interactions you have had with fan pages and friends. If you’d like to show all updates and not limit yourself to only those you’ve interacted recently there is one simple step you have to take.
- Select “News Feed” from your home page
- Scroll to the very bottom of your news feed page and select “Edit Options”
- By default the recent changes are set at “Friends and Pages you Interact with Most” — change this to the other option “All of Your Friends and Pages”